Diabetes is one of the most prevalent health problems in the United States. If you have recently been diagnosed with diabetes, you are likely overwhelmed by the amount of information you need to know about the condition and how you will care for yourself. There are a variety of options for diabetes treatment in Arlington for individuals with this disease.
Naturopathic physicians can treat all types of diabetes – types 1 and 2, prediabetes, and gestational diabetes. A holistic approach to treatment involves the individual as a whole and their lifestyle, diet, and approach to exercise. Many times, naturopathic doctors work in conjunction with traditional medical doctors to plan treatment programs for patients and co-manage their care.
Strategies to treat diabetes naturopathically are focused on maintaining blood sugar levels in a healthy range. Insulin resistance is often due to a combination of hormonal imbalances, diet, behavior, nutritional deficiencies, stress, physical activity, and environmental toxins. Modification of some or all these factors can contribute to effective diabetes care.
Starting treatment with a naturopathic doctor includes lab work, a physical, health history, and discussion of lifestyle and diet. Recommendations may include:
- Herbal and nutritional supplementation
- Dietary supervision and recommendations
- Blood sugar log and diet diary discussion and review
- Evaluation of body systems impacted by diabetes, like the kidneys, brain, and liver
- Preventive strategies to prevent worsening
- Medication management consultation
- Lifestyle counseling practices to aid in self-management of diabetes
After an initial appointment, a naturopathic physician will decide which aspects have the highest priority and what strategies will likely be most effective. A customized treatment plan will be devised.